CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 28, 2008

State of the Union

One of my favorite television programs returned this week after a long hiatus. In fact, I havent watched it since returning from my mission. This program is The State of the Union address. It has everything you could desire from tv, especially when President Bush is involved. I like dubya, but I will never confuse him for the smartest man in the world. My question this evening has been this: Does the teleprompter tell him when to raise his voice and use his hands? It would not surprise me, except for one thing...wouldnt that just confuse him? Brian Williams said before it started that President Bush took all day yesterday to rehearse this speech. I can just imagine him sitting in the oval office, with stereo speakers in front of him. Condi is sitting in the next room watching on a video screen and piping in applause to either speaker, depending on what is said. When he pauses for applause and it doesnt happen, she runs in yelling at him, pointing out that he didnt have enough emotion in his voice, or didnt point at the people in the front row! Can you tell that I really miss Saturday Night Live? Why does the writers strike have to happen in the middle of an election year? Bad timing...

I figured out what is wrong with our economy this morning as I was reading for my business lecture. It was a very basic overview on economics, but the answer was right there. Here it goes...

Over the past few years, Global Warming has become a hot button issue. The media loves to tell us how important this issue is and likes to shove it down our throats. NBC even had a whole "green" week last november. I am not sure what to believe about global warming, but anything we can do to create a better living environment for our followers is a good thing. There is one problem, since we hear so much about it, there have been many knee jerk reactions. In fact, it seems as if daily I hear reports of some big company or government agency buying carbon offsets, whatever those are. Because there is so much pressure on companies to "go green", it immediately jumps to top priority to get more publicity. As companies create budgets, the only green planned for is the money they plan on making! Therefore, all these companies are having to cut in other departments to make up for the money being put into the green transformation. The result is lower wages, or layoffs, and lower profits for these companies.

Issues like this should be looked at very closely and each detail planned out instead of just waking up one morning and deciding to go green. The only people who profit from this are the consultants and companies who help in the transformation and Mr. An Inconvenient Truth, Al Gore, but he invented the internet so he doesnt need the money. The best results are usually found by staying in the middle of an issue like this and taking small, but significant steps as they are available. It is sad to see smart people be completely manhandled by the media and a Vice President like has happened recently. I can only hope that this is a trend that slows down, but for some reason I dont think that will happen.

3 comments:

Heather said...

so sarcastic...i loved it

Amanda said...

i love that you have a blog :) glad to hear things are going well for you! -amanda (nelson)

Keith A. Runyon said...

I really like your style bro... I think the whole green thing is a crock of s**t. I use as much styrofoam and foil as I can around the house. Love you man!
Uncle Keith